"'I'm a Health Worker' - Abduaraman Gidi" made by IntraHealth International.
Watch Dr. Paul Farmer, President Sirleaf, Pape Gaye, Dr. Anne Peterson and Javier Alvarez testify before the Sub-commitee on African Affairs about the need for funding to stop the spread of Ebola. Click here.
On November 24th NPR posted this story following a CHW named Lorenzo Dorr as he works in some of the most remote regions of Liberia to try and stop the most recent surge of outbreaks. Up until recently this region of Liberia had been largely unaffected by the disease, but as of the printing of this article there have been 24 deaths in these far-flung villages in the southeastern part of the country. The CHWs dispatched to this area are charged with the daunting task of tracing those who have had potential contact with infected persons, educating local villagers who are often wary of health workers from outside their region and bringing infection prevention control to the region.
In this editorial, Victor Barbiero, takes an important look at the current state of health systems that we are relying on to combat disease around the world. He points out that while Ebola may be receiving the media coverage there are many diseases claiming lives in low- and middle-income countries. But, the key to mitigating the burden of these diseases lies in strong, capable health systems. Read more.
Dr. Raj Panjabi on the Ebola Crisis:
Dr. Paul Farmer on the Ebola Crisis:
This website, which is a collaboration of IntraHealth and mPowering Frontline Health Workers, is focused on providing up-to-date, high quality resources for frontline health workers and others involved in caring for families and individuals affected by Ebola.
- Why Ebola Fighters are Time Person of the Year 2014
- Officials Hope to Use Ebola to Build Africa's Health Care Capabilities
- Its not Ebola...its the systems
- What Local (US) Health Departments Need to Know About Ebola
- How Did Nigeria Quash Its Ebola Outbreak so Quickly?
- The Ebola Outbreak: Fragile Health Systems, and Quality as a Cure
- CDC: Tools for Protecting Healthcare Personnel
- Ebola and Communication for Development (Unicef) Tools
- MedBox: Ebola Toolbox
- Boston-Based Partners in Health Leaps into Ebola Crisis
- Ebola: Kwara Employs 100 Health Workers
- A Liberian Health Worker Aims to Keep Ebola Out of His Rural Region
- Thousands of Heath Workers Needed in Global Effort to Stop Ebola Outbreak
- Meagre pay, tough conditions: Health-care workers needed for Ebola response
- CHWs &The 2014 Ebola Crisis: An Opportunity For Community-Level Care
- Why Ebola Is Making It Harder To Provide Good Health Care
- Smell of Ebola Lingers as Health Workers Fight Disease
- BRAC blog- Update on Ebola in West Africa: How we’re stopping it, how you can help
- Shortage of gear to protect health workers from Ebola has closed many Sierra Leone clinic
- Community health workers are critical to fighting Ebola
- Opinion: Ebola shows the need to rethink global public health
- Uganda health workers supporting West Africa on Ebola response